East SF Bay Area (Walnut Creek) Bass Player
I learned to play bass in elementary school and played in jazz & pep bands throughout junior high and high school. When I started college, I tucked my bass into its case and left it there for decades. During COVID lockdowns, my younger daughter expressed an interest in learning to play guitar. I began playing again too, hoping to enjoy the occasional practice sessions with her. I am discovering a renewed interest in playing and performing.
In July 2021, I joined a local cover band, Retroflection.
I recently acquired my first 5-string bass just for the challenge of it. In 2021, I picked up a fretless J-style bass and an inexpensive P-style bass for rehearsals and gigging. Most recently, I landed a super-lightweight headless 5-string for comfort on those long 4-hour gigs.
Preferred music styles:
- Pop (70s/80s/90s through contemporary hit)
- Rock (Pop/Alternative/Modern/Classic)
- Contemporary Christian
- Or any other style with fun, interesting bass lines!
Other stuff I’m into:
- Bikes (road & mountain, but prefer mountain)
- Beer (IPA – West Coast & New England Hazy)
Stuff I’m not into:
- Metal or ear-blistering hard rock.
- Singing. I marvel at those who are able to play bass and sing simultaneously!
- Unstructured jam sessions. Prefer to work on songs, sets, and creating exceptional performances.
- Touring – I am employed full time.
Recent Bass Cover Videos
- Doctor! Doctor! – Thompson Twins – Pop/80s – 1984
- Stand – R.E.M. – Pop/Rock/Alt/80s – 1989
- Big In Japan – Alphaville – Pop/80s – 1984
- Take On Me – A-ha – 1984 – Pop/80s
- One Thing Leads To Another – The Fixx – 1983 – Pop/Rock/80s